Sunday 20 June 2010

A Spectacle Out of Spectacles

I came back to my room after a visit to the kitchen and sat down to study. As I was about to put on my spectacles, I realised they were not there on the table where I distinctly remember having kept them before leaving the room. Where had I kept my pair of spectacles? This is so careless of me. I always seem to misplace them. They are not on my study table. They are not on my shelf. They are not on the refrigerator. And certainly they are not inside it. Now this is ridiculous. I have to search the whole house to find them. I need help. I think I shall call mother or brother to help me search. It is definitely not here in this room.

The number of times I have misplaced my spectacles is not even funny. The best part is I have always hunted them down. My record is pretty good. I guess I should have been a detective. A Sherlock Holmes, a Hercule Poirot, or a Feluda. I have always loved these characters and I was literally brought up on detective stories. I think I have learnt a lot from them, otherwise how can you explain my repeated success in tracking down my spectacles. But where are they now?

“Ma! Can you search for my spectacles, please? I do not seem to find them in my room. And oh, can you also ask brother to look for them? He sometimes notices things.”
“Ok, I shall do that. Tityl, have you seen your brother’s spectacles?”
“No mother!”
“Then can you please look for them. He has misplaced it again. How irresponsible can you be (this to me)?”

They knew that I could not study without my spectacles. Without them I could just make my way around. Now the whole house was up in arms searching for my pair of spectacles. Two pairs of extra hands should make the search easier.

Half an hour passed in a massive search of the house but my spectacles were nowhere to be found. There was no plausible explanation for this. This is weird. My mother and brother, exhausted from the search and to console me, entered my room and froze. My mother’s jaw dropped open and stayed that way. My brother’s face flushed and then turned red before he exploded on me, “You think this is a joke! I wasted half an hour for this! You are pathetic!” And he marched out. I was flabbergasted. Slowly closing her mouth my mother turned and as she left the room, she said, “You have really lost your mind. You are wearing your spectacles.”
Oh no! I had made a spectacle out of my spectacles!

No comments:

Post a Comment