Sunday 23 May 2010

Back in Time

(This story is dedicated to two of my friends who will knopw it when they read it. I hope that you two enjoy it. It has been her idea that I write a story about them.)

The college was the same as I remember it. The building seems to be as ageless as ever. This was the place I had met my wife 25 years ago. It seems to be just yesterday. Life plays so many tricks on you. When I had reached here an hour back, I was a little sceptical. Who would I meet? Will I recognise my friends? Will they recognise them? Over these years I have lost touch with almost all. When I had left college, I made it a point to catch up with almost everyone through mail or Facebook. I was a great Facebook enthusiast back then. But soon life overtook me and I got busy with a new life, a new set of friends. I am still in touch with just a few, three or four, I guess.

As I entered college, greeted by a few students, I somehow felt like smiling. I do not know why. And what a shock beheld me! I could not recognise more than half the people. They had all changed over the years. Everyone was in suits and sarees. Some of my friends came up to me to introduce themselves again. Some have become quite fat, others have gone bald, some now have glasses, while others have become thin. Even I have changed. I now have a French beard and a changed hairstyle, and I have put on quite some weight.

I so wish my wife was here with me, but she could not come for she is pregnant with our second kid. She insisted that I come, for her sake. So now I am here. We have so many memories in this college. There is not a single nook and corner here that does not have a memory associated with it. We have had such major fight and such profusion of emotions. I was young and my blood was hot, and passion ran riot. When I used to be angry I could not express myself clearly and she never tried to understand. She thought I threw my temper at her because I did not care about her. What she never realised was that I threw all my temper on her because she was the only one I had whom I could trust, who made me feel safe and wanted, and who I thought understood me. She did understand me but in her own peculiar way. She was the only person in front of whom I could be myself, free from the facade that I had to put up to face the world. I could be scared or childish only with her. She was my girl, she was my dream and I love her more than I love myself (and only a little less than our child). Whom do I quarrel the most with? My wife. Whom do I love the most? My wife. Whom can I not tolerate? My wife. And whom can I not live without? My wife!

God, what fights we had over such silly things! I now find those fights silly and sometimes we talk about those days, me and my wife have a good laugh. I remember we used to stop talking to each other and even avoid each other. She ended up crying her heart out and I smoked like a chimney. Oh yes, I used to be a chain smoker in those days. Gave it up completely when our child was born and since then, have never looked back. An old friend, here today, offered me a cigarette and was completely dumbfounded when I refused. They all remember me as the smoker. People change over time and have I. I am now far more restrained than I was in college. Cannot even sprint due to my weight! To top it all, me and my wife rarely have those deadly quarrels these days. Both of us have come to know each other better and have learnt to compromise. After all we have a family now! Voila! God, I am a father now! I never believed I could be a father, ever!

I was jarred back from my reflections by the ringing of my cell phone.
“Hello.”
“Hi baby, are you in college?”
“Yes. Reached sometime back. Miss you a lot. I so wish you were here.”
“Even I wish so, but it’s ok. Who all have come?”
“Well there are a few from our class, like...”
“Someone’s at the door. I need to go. Shall call back later.”
“That’s ok. But have you taken your medicine”
“Yes, yes. Stop worrying and enjoy. I am fine. Need to go. Bye. And I love you.”
“Love you too, honey. Bye”

3 comments:

  1. making a woman pregnant at the age of 44 is bad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phulan devi has made a good observation.................The person offering raghu the cig surely willbe me..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that this is the way things turn out...As this is a story of two person's life, who are both always in me !!!!

    ReplyDelete